The back deck's main purpose is to access the back yard, and until three weeks ago, for Daisy to lounge on. My in-laws purchased a bunch of vinyl railings on Craigslist from someone who was re-doing their deck and they had some extra that they gave us (for free!). Peter and I took a day and did some deconstruction and then installed the vinyl railing. Once we did that, we started scrubbing the deck to prepare it to be sealed. The previous owners expanded the deck at some point, but didn't do it entirely correctly, and then never took care of the wood. Two summers ago I scrubbed the deck but we never had more than a few days without rain, which made it difficult to seal. Last summer was super hot, so I didn't do a lot outside.
But this year, this summer, I knew it had to be done. It was slimy and slippery when it rained and it was generally gross.
I scrubbed (with Dawn and hot water) the deck three times, Peter did it twice more, and then we sealed it. It now looks amazing.
We also found out not everything is square on this deck, which seems to be a running theme while we work around the house.